To view all current events please click here
THIS YEAR IS OUR 15TH ANNUAL LIGHTHOUSE RUN AND WE ARE
CELEBRATING IN A BIG WAY! FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER WE ARE
ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEEING SOMEONE WILL TAKE HOME A BRAND NEW
June 19th & 20th
Registration is now open!
You can register by calling our store directly at 541-266-7051.
Check in begins at 5:30 PM on Friday afternoon at the Mill Hotel & Casino in North Bend (located on Hwy 101) and will continue until 8:00PM. Receive your event packet with tee shirt, pin, meal ticket, raffle tickets(no charge) and promotional items at the time of registration. Simply provide us the name under which you registered. Registration will be available for late arrivals from 8:00AM until 9:00AM, Saturday morning. Show-n-Shine will take place Friday evening. All bikes that are entering must also register by 6:30pm. No Charge for Show-n-Shine Entry. We will have local micro-breweries on Friday night offering free tastings! We will also have no host food and bar as well as live entertainment by the Essentials.
The Essentials are rated the top dance band in the west by Gigmaster and their reviews are second to none. A collaboration of nine highly talented and experienced musicians, each with a music degree,appeared at the top of national playing and song-writing competitions and recorded on multi-platinum albums. Covers of such artists as Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind and Fire, and Chicago join originals written by the group to make up the the band's sound, a mixture of tight rythm, heavy brass abd soulful vocals. Check them out at www.theessentials.net
The Poker Run, (on Saturday) which is optional, qualifies you for a chance to win an envelope with a motorcycle key in it. . However, you must participate in the poker run if you want an opportunity to win one of the envelopes. Envelopes are limited. Only one envelope/key will start the bike. There will be no cash payout for high hand or low hand. Purchase your poker cards Friday evening. Poker cards-$5 each and you can buy as many as you like to increase your chances of getting a high or low hand. **Poker hands are dealt by Milll Casino dealers.
Also, be sure to purchase your 50/50 tickets from H.O.G.® Chapter 2137 to support local charities AND a chance to win BIG cash on Friday and Saturday evenings.
The Run kicks off at 9:00AM Saturday morning with a group run to the Umpqua River Lighthouse in Winchester Bay, one of the most photographed lighthouses in Oregon. Riders are then free to head north or south to visit any of our (10) poker stops or recommended points of interest. (see below)
A day of riding the beautiful Oregon coast will be topped off with a delicious dinner (included), no-host bar, lots of sponsor giveaways, a 50/50 drawing (both Friday and Saturday evenings),This years comedian is Brad Upton! Check him out at www.bradupton.com. Saturday night will wrap up with the announcement of who is going home with a brand new Harley-Davidson® Street Glide! Call us at 541-266-7051 for more information and to register!
**A person can only have one qualifying high hand or one qualifying low hand. One person cannot claim mulitple high hands or low hands . Poker cards are not transferable. Only the name written on the poker card is who the card belongs to. No hands will be dealt unless a name is written on the poker card prior to being turned into the dealer. All dealers are provided by the Mill Casino.
Sorry - no ala Carte registrations
$75 per person. No one under 21 years of age allowed
THIS IS A NON-REFUNDABLE EVENT-NO EXCEPTIONS
Suggested Hotels and Motels:
The Mill Casino Hotel (full service hotel) - 541-756-8800 * Ask for Lighthouse Run rates.
This event typcially sells out the Mill Casino-book early!
Edgewater Inn - 541-267-0423 $85 per night! Ask for the Harley rate.
Best Western - 541-269-5111 $125 per night. Ask for Lighthouse Run rate.
Super 8 Motel - 541-808-0704 From $79.00- $119.99 Room types vary. Mention Lighthouse run
Motel 6- 541-267-7171
Red Lion Hotel (full service hotel) - 541-267-4141
Quality Inn and Suites -541-756-3191
For RV's- The Mill Casino has RV spots, but they do fill up quickly.
Also go to www.goodsamcamping.com. Type in 'Oregon' for the state and 97420 for the zip and a list of RV places will come up. Closest ones beside the Mill Casino would be Lucky Loggers, Horsfall, KOA, Lakeside.
2015 Lighthouse Run Stops
Please be aware that the Poker Run is optional. $5 poker cards can be purchased at the event on Friday evening. A valid, stamped poker card is necessary to be eligible for a high or low hand. You must have a minimum of five (5) poker stamps on a card for a five-card draw. You may also have seven (7) poker stamps (stops) for a seven card draw.Highway 101 Harley-Davidson is the only required stop.
We have listed the stops for 2015 from the most Northern to the most Southern. Also highlighted are points of Interests. Note: Highway 101 Harley-Davidson is listed at the bottom of the list, even though we are not the most southern stop. Directions to each stop will be provided at check-in on Friday evening.
Georgie's Beachside Grill, part of the Hallmark Inns and Resorts, is known for their great food, but for an incredible view of the Oregon Coast and Beaches. Georgies opens at 7:30am, so its a great place to get a great breakfast for those of you who are early birds or make a stop there later for lunch! 744 SW elizabeth St, Newport. 541-265-9800
Yaquina Head Lighthouse, Newport - Point of Interest
Yaquina Head Lighthouse in Newport (95 miles north of Coos Bay) encountered trouble from the beginning. Construction work began in the fall of 1871 but was often delayed due to the tempestuous Oregon winter. Boats bringing materials faced difficult surf and at least two overturned and lost their cargo. The tower, made from 370,000 bricks from San Francisco, is double walled for insulation and dampness protection. After two years of toil the Fresnel lens finally shone for the first time on August 20, 1873. It is the tallest lighthouse on the Oregon coast at 93 feet. The light shines 162 feet above the ocean and can be seen 19 miles out to sea. In October of 1920, lightening struck the tower. Keeper Wilson Aid was in the workroom below the lantern when the tower shook. Lucky for Aid he wasn't near the lantern room handrails, as the electric current burned off the paint exposing the red lead paint underneath. A few years later, Keeper William Smith went into town with his family, leaving assistants Herbert Higgins and Frank Story in charge. Higgins fell ill and Story got drunk. Seeing that Story had not tended to the light, Higgins got out of his sickbed and went into the tower, collapsing on the landing near the lantern room. Smith noticed from Newport that the light was not shining and hurried back to the lighthouse. Upon his arrival he found Higgins dead and Story drunk. After that, Story, filled with guilt, feared Higgins' ghost and always took his bulldog into the tower during his rounds. John Zenor, a stocky, curly haired character who served as keeper from 1932 to 1954, reported of a ghost in the tower; "someone unseen would come in and go up the spiral stairs. After the war (WWII) we never heard him again." In 1998, Buddy, a 5-year-old German Shepard, was taking a late, rainy night walk with his master near the lighthouse when the dog slipped over a cliff. Rescue workers were called out and could hear the dog barking on the beach below. After surveying the scene with searchlights it was determined that the only way to retrieve the dog was to rappel down the cliff. While the crew was waiting for additional help to arrive the dog suddenly appeared, uninjured, by one of the fire trucks. No one has a clue as to how he managed to climb that slippery slope. A thorough restoration of the tower was completed in 2006 at a cost of one million dollars and the lighthouse area remains a popular stop for tourists, receiving over 400,000 visitors a year. The lighthouse is only open to the public during daylight hours. Perhaps so no one gets spooked. Lat 44.67681 Long -124.07938
Sea Lion Cave - Point of Interest
Just eleven (11) miles north of Florence you'll find Sea Lion Cave. The grassy bluff over the Pacific offers stunning ocean views of smashing waves, swooping gulls and distant Coast Range peaks. But the real crowd-pleaser is a dim, foul-smelling cavern located 208 feet below the surface. A tourist-friendly elevator takes you most of the way, but expect a few wet, slippery steps during the tour. The stadium-size, natural cavern is partly flooded with water that enters through a tunnel that is connected to the open ocean. It is a subterranean lagoon, serving as a preserve for two species of sea lions at their only known West Coast rookery - or breeding ground - that is not on an island. In November of 2009 nearly 1,600 sea lions, which inhabited the San Francisco Bay area since they first began to arrive there in late 1989, suddenly disappeared en masse. Though scientists are reluctant to say for certain, there is much speculation that the hundreds of newcomers that suddenly appeared at Sea Lion Cave in January of 2010 were California migrants. Could word have reached San Francisco of the massive anchovy school off the coast of Oregon? And if so how? And did someone's relative offer to put them all up at Sea Lion Cave? And, if so whom?
2. Heceta Head Lighthouse, Florence - POKER STOP
In 1775, Don Bruno Heceta, sailing for the Royal Spanish Navy, set out from San Blas, Mexico with 45 men and provisions for a year-long mission to reach the Arctic Circle and claim points en route for Spain. He made it as far as the Columbia River before turning back due to concern for his sailors who were stricken with scurvy. On his journey he noted the headland, which now bears his name. Pronounced "Ha - SEE - Ta" by most, Heceta Head is one of the most beautiful lighthouses in the world. Construction of the lighthouse began in 1892. Lumber came from local mills, the masonry and cement came from San Francisco, and rock used in the base of the tower was quarried from the Clackamas River near Oregon City. The tower is 56 feet tall with a focal plane of 205 feet above sea level. The first-order Fresnel lens was manufactured by Chance Brothers of Bermingham (Smethwick), England. (Their lenses were also installed at Point Cabrillo, CA and Staten Island, NY among other places.) The lens contains eight panels with 640 prisms, each 2 inches thick. The most powerful light along the Oregon coast, it can be seen 21 miles out to sea and is only stopped by the curvature of the earth. Heceta Head Lighthouse is said to be the most photographed lighthouse in the United States. Tours are given daily, March through October, from 11AM until 5PM. Lat 44.1374 Long -124.12792
3. Old Town Florence, Florence- Beachcomber Bar & Grill - POKER STOP
Historic Old Town Florence is one of the most beautiful and charming of the Oregon coast cities. Located on the waterfront below Highway 101's Siuslaw River Bridge, this district is the perfect place to spend time exploring art galleries, antique stores, coffee, gift and specialty shops, wine tasting and restaurants serving regional foods and wines. Visit our good friends at the Beachcomber Grill & Pub in Old Town Florence for a tasty libation and a bite to eat Lat 43.9666117 Long -124.1061115
4. Reedsport Elk Preserve, Reedsport - POKER STOP
Just three miles east of Reedsport on Hwy 38 is the Dean Creek Elk Viewing Area, which is an important part of the state's elk management program. There is a three-mile viewing area with strategically placed pullouts. The herd of 60 to 100 Roosevelt elk roams freely in the protected pasture, woodland, and wetland areas, sharing their habitat with other wildlife including bald eagles, Canada geese, beaver, and black-tailed deer. A fence separates them from the roadway but upon occasion you'll come across one standing beside or in the road, so be aware. Mid-September to early October is mating season and males, which can weigh more than 1,000 pounds, can often be seen in the fields bugling and fighting over females. Lat 43.691460 Long -124.053970
5. Loon Lake - POKER STOP
Continue east on Highway 38 exactly 9.7 miles from the Elk Preserve gazebo and take the right turn exit to Loon Lake. About 1,400 years ago a major landslide in the coast range of western Oregon sent a mountainside of debris and house-size boulders down into and across a deep and narrow river canyon. The resulting dam combined with the annual rainfall formed Loon Lake. At its outlet, Mill Creek drops over 120 feet in less than 1/4 mile of spectacular waterfalls and pools. The lake is exactly 8.7 miles from Hwy 38 and the beautiful and winding road along the Mill Creek demands constant rider attention. This road is narrow, heavily traveled during the summer months, and the constant, tight curves are unforgiving to a rider who is not focused on the road. And it's a long and steep ride down to the rocky riverbed in some areas, so PLEASE, REMAIN ALERT! Utilize one of the several turnouts along the route for viewing and pictures. Lat 43.584867 Long -123.83780
6. Umpqua River Lighthouse, Winchester Bay - POKER STOP
In 1851, Congress appropriated $15,000 for the Umpqua River Lighthouse and 33 acres were set aside for the site. In 1856, construction began. Local Indians, who for centuries had used the area as a prime hunting and fishing ground, were none too pleased to watch the progress. Afraid of reprisal due to the close proximity of Fort Umpqua, the Indians chose to agitate the workers by constantly stealing their tools. On October 10, 1857, Keeper Fayette Crosby lit the third-order Fresnel lens, the first light along the Oregon Coast. The lighthouse was similar to others built at the time, a large Cape Cod duplex with a tower rising from the gabled roof, 92 feet above ground. Unfortunately, the survey crew never saw the site at flood stage, or the location may have been different. Winter storms brought swollen riverbanks and crashing seas. The lighthouse, built on sand, was constantly battered. A coastal gale, on February 8, 1861, along with a record mountain run off, combined to blast away at the foundation. The foundation was eroded and the house and tower tilted slightly. The keepers lived in fear that the entire structure would collapse along with them in it. They petitioned for the structure to be abandoned, and in late January 1864, they were given the go ahead. A week later the lighting apparatus was removed, and while crews were in the process of dismantling the iron lantern house the tower began to shake and sway. The men dropped their work and ran for their lives and none too soon. Only minutes later, the tower came crashing down. In 1888, $50,000 was appropriated for the construction of the second Umpqua River lighthouse. This time, with lesson learned, it was built further inland on a headland above the mouth of the river. The new lighthouse, a sibling to Heceta Head, is a 65-foot tower, which stands 165 feet above sea level. The tower, brick overlaid with cement plaster, is five feet thick at the base and tapers to 21 inches thick at the parapet. Visit the Umpqua museum for free. Forty-minute tours of the lighthouse will be on a first come-first served basis at the low price of $3. Each tour group can accommodate a maximum of ten people. Lat 43.66234 Long -124.19849
7. Cape Arago Lighthouse, Charleston - (POKER STOP-The Cape Arago Lookout)
On November 1, 1866, the first Cape Arago Lighthouse was illuminated. The octagonal, wrought iron tower was capped with a lantern room housing a fourth-order Fresnel lens and was supported by spindly metal legs. Located at the northern end of the island, the tower was linked via a wooden walkway to a one-and-a-half-story wooden keeper's dwelling, constructed near the southern end of the island. Rowboats were initially used to access the island, until a low bridge to the island was constructed in 1876. However, high seas cut short the bridge's life after just two years, and the boats were a necessity once again. After the low bridge to the island was repeatedly washed away, bids were solicited in 1889 for the construction of a more robust high bridge, to link the island to the mainland. All of the submitted bids were deemed exorbitant, and a cable tramway was built instead in 1891. Two frame towers, one on the island and one on the mainland, supported a 400-foot long cable, and the ends of the cable were anchored in concrete. This new means of accessing the island also proved to be perilous. Just over a month before a high bridge was finally completed in July of 1898, keeper Thomas Wyman, his daughter, and two other individuals were being winched across the inlet in the cage suspended below the tramway's cable, when disaster struck. The cable snapped, plunging the passengers onto the rocky surf some sixty feet below. Wyman's legs were severely injured, and one of them was subsequently amputated. In mid-October of 2005, a notice was sent out to mariners by the Coast Guard stating that the Cape Arago Lighthouse would be deactivated. Chief Dale Dempsy, who is in charge of the aids to navigation team in Charleston, OR, says "no comments to speak of" were received, so he turned off the light on January 1, 2006. Lat 43.3064117 Long -124.40048933
8. Cranberry Sweets (Old Town Bandon) - POKER STOP. With an amazing assortment of choclates and candies and free samples galore, this is a stop you do not want to miss! 28 1st St Southeast, Bandon, Or 541-347-9475
Coquille Lighthouse, Bandon - Point of Interest
The Coquille Indians inhabited the area around the present-day town of Bandon before white settlers started to arrive in 1850. The town site was settled in 1853 and was first called Averill. After the arrival of several immigrants from Bandon, Ireland in 1873 the town's name was changed to Bandon. A Coquille River Lighthouse was needed for improving navigation at the river's mouth. The lighthouse would act as both a coastal light and a harbor light. A bill authorizing its construction was passed in 1891, but it would be four years before land was purchased and construction begun. A forest fire swept into Bandon in 1936 and consumed all but sixteen of the towns' 500 buildings. The lighthouse, separated from the fire by a water barrier, was not damaged. However, ash and soot found its way into the lighthouse requiring extra work from the keepers, who also provided shelter for some of the now homeless residents of Bandon. In 1939, the Coast Guard took responsibility for the lighthouse and decided it was no longer needed. The Bandon Lighthouse stood neglected for twenty-four years, until Bullards Beach State Park was created on the north side of the river. The grounds of the original 11-acre light station were included in the park, and the park assumed responsibility for the lighthouse. Please do not block traffic at the lighthouse and obey posted speed limits. The Coquille Lighthouse is visible from the docks of downtown Bandon, but if you want a closer look simply travel north on Hwy 101 just a bit over two miles and turn left (west) into Bullard's Beach State Park and follow Park Road to where it ends at the Coquille River. Lat 43.1239 Long - 124.42427
9. Cape Blanco Lighthouse ( Port Orford) (& Patrick Hughes House) - POKER STOP
On the eve of December 20, 1870, the Fresnel* lens in Cape Blanco Lighthouse was lit for the first time. This isolated lighthouse holds at least four Oregon records: it is the oldest continuously operating light, the most westerly, it has the highest focal plane above the sea, (256 feet), and Oregon's first female keeper, Mabel E. Bretherton, signed on in March 1903. Cape Blanco's history is full of shipwrecks and lives saved. One notable shipwreck was the "J.A. Chanslor" (an oil tanker) in 1919. Of the 39 passengers, only 3 survived the collision with an offshore rock. The U.S. Coast Guard took over management of the lighthouse in 1939. The station was later automated and abandoned in 1979. The last known "keeper", stationed at Cape Blanco for grounds keeping and security purposes, left in December of 1987. A 1,000-watt incandescent bulb replaced Cape Blanco's soot producing oil lamps of old. Gone are the keepers who spent hours polishing the magnificent lens and winding the clockworks. Today, it rotates with the help of a 120-volt, 75-rpm electric motor, specially manufactured for lighthouse duty. The electrified light flashes it's 320,000 candlepower beam, 1.8 seconds bright (flash) every 18.2 seconds. The lighthouse is the only one in Oregon where visitors can enter the lantern room for an eye-level view of a working, 7-foot tall lens, and lighthouse tours begin at the Greeting Center. Those who wish to climb the tower pay a small fee of $3. Others are welcome to wander the mowed areas and visit the gift shop sponsored by THE FRIENDS OF CAPE BLANCO. The climb to the lantern room is via three flights of stairs and one ladder, with a total of 64 steps to the top. Children who climb the tower must be able to climb unaided. Visitors are asked to watch their step and keep their hands on the railing at all times. Visitors should stand away from the rotating lens and are requested not to touch the lens.
A fine example of late Victorian architecture, the Hughes ranch house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1898 by P.J. Lindberg, it was a celebration of 38 years of hard work by Patrick and Jane Hughes. The historic Hughes ranch house is a two story, eleven-room house solidly framed of 2x8 old growth Port Orford cedar. The rectangular structure with cross-axial wings, has over 3,000 square feet, and was constructed in 1898 at a cost of $3,800. Hughes House tours are available thru October 31st, Tuesday thru Sunday, 10:00AM to 3:30PM.
10. Highway 101 Harley-Davidson- POKER STOP (Required stop for all poker riders) is the only required stamp for the poker run. 536 S 2nd St Coos Bay 541-266-7051. We ship! Lat 43.360941 Long -124.2142